Last modified: 2010-12-30
This policy describes the information we collect from you, why it is collected, how it is used, and when it is shared with third parties. It also describes what choices are available to you regarding the use of Personal Information, and describes the security procedures in place to protect its misuse.
We may update this policy at any time. Revised versions will become effective at the time they are published on the e-gold website. If there is a major revision, we may seek your consent before you use our services.
”CDD” is an abbreviation for Customer Due Diligence.”CIP” is an abbreviation for Customer Indentification Program.“Counterparty” means, for purposes of this policy, a party to a Spend transaction in the e-gold system. The Counterparty to a payer is the payee and vice versa.
“Customer” means collectively the Owner of an e-gold account and the User controlling that same e-gold account. Customer’s relationship with e-gold, for purposes of this policy, may be current or terminated.
“Customer Information” means any information collected directly or indirectly about Customer or pertaining to Customer’s use of the e-gold system. Some, but not all, Customer Information is Personal Information.
“Personal Information” is any information that can be associated with you and used to identify or contact you.
“User” means a natural person that is authorized by Owner to exercise control of an e-gold account owned by Owner.
“VAP” is an abbreviation for Value Access Plan.
“You” and “your” refer to Customers or any other website visitor.
We collect IP address and other standard web server log file information, such as browser type and pages visited, for each website visitor. If you contact us via our website, telephone, or other communication medium, we may also collect your name, email address and/or other contact information, account and transaction numbers (if applicable), and other information specific to your issue.
Customer Information is primarily collected from User via our website or in the course of Customer’s use of the e-gold system, but it may also be collected via other communication media, such as postal mail or fax, or in the course of Customer’s interactions with customer service. Customer Information may also be collected from third parties, such as identity verification services and public records.
We may collect the following types of Customer Information:
· Contact information – such as name, address, telephone and fax numbers, email addresses, and other information that could be used to contact Customer.
· Due diligence information – additional information needed for CIP, such as date of birth and government issued numbers including social security numbers and tax identification numbers; CDD, such as information about income, employment, and anticipated use of e-gold system.
· Documentation – as may be needed to verify other Customer Information, such as documents to verify identity and address.
· e-gold usage information – pertaining to Customer’s use of the e-gold system, such as timestamps, IP addresses, browser headers, transaction information, and account balances.
· Information from third parties.
When a User logs in to an account on the e-gold website, e-gold’s web server may place small text files on User’s computer, via User’s web browser, called "cookies".
e-gold places a “session cookie” on User’s computer when User visits the login page or when User logs in to an account on the e-gold website. Each session cookie contains a server generated string that is used as the identifier for the logged-in session. E-gold uses session cookies, for example, to eliminate the need for User to provide an Account Number and passphrase on each page visited during a logged in session. User may decline to accept session cookies if web browser permits, but some areas of the e-gold website depend on session cookies to function correctly. Session cookies are automatically deleted when User closes web browser.
e-gold may also place a “persistent cookie” cookie on User’s computer upon login to an account on the e-gold website. The persistent cookie is not automatically deleted when User closes web browser unless User’s web browser has been configured to do so. The persistent cookie may contain information about the current login session, such as Account Number, for the purpose of displaying it to User on next visit to login page as a convenience and an anti-phishing measure. User may decline to accept persistent cookies if web browser permits, and doing so will not impact website functionality other than the particular feature described.
We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your Personal Information such as:
· In Transit Encryption – Personal Information that User submits or that e-gold displays to User via the e-gold website is encrypted in transit between User’s web browser and e-gold’s web server.
· Encrypted Passphrases – User Passphrases are stored in our database in encrypted form rather than plaintext.
· Restricted Access – Personal Information is protected by restricting remote and physical access to the computers on which it is stored. Only personnel who need the information to perform a specific job (for example customer service) are granted access to Personal Information. All personnel who have access to Personal Information are obliged to respect its confidentiality.
We may use Personal Information to:
· Authenticate account logins and customer service requests, and/or otherwise protect the security or integrity of our website and our business.
· Contact you, when necessary.
· Comply with laws and regulations, including responding to subpoenas issued by law enforcement.
· Provide administrative services related to the operation of the e-gold website and business.
· Facilitate CIP, IDV, and VAP processes.
· Analyze trends and statistics and for marketing, research and development.
We do not sell, rent or share Personal Information with/to unaffiliated third parties for marketing purposes.
To process your transactions and reduce User payment instruction errors, e-gold may share some of your Personal Information with your Counterparties. Payee Account Number and Account Name are displayed to Payer on Spend previews and confirmations, as well as in transaction histories. Correspondingly, Payer Account Number, Account Name, Spend memo, and other details of any incoming Spend are displayed in the transaction history of the Payee account. Therefore, Personal Information User has included in Account Name and Spend memo (if any) is shared with Counterparty.
We may share your Personal Information with:
· Service providers who perform, or assist in performing, business functions requiring access to Personal Information, such as customer service, business development, fraud prevention, compliance and investigations, and certain technology services. We require that third party service providers provide at least the same level of privacy protection as described in this policy.
· Government agencies, police services, or other third parties:
o To process VAP claims.
o In response to a subpoena, court order, summons, or other document with similar legal authority.
o In a good faith effort to comply with law or regulation, such as to report suspicious activity.
o To investigate suspected illegal activity.
· Other third parties with your consent or direction to do so.
We may transfer Personal Information to our successors or assigns. In that event, we will require that successors or assigns provide at least the same level of privacy protection as described in this policy.
We do not sell, rent or share Personal Information with/to unaffiliated third parties for marketing purposes. Generally there is no option to opt-out of receiving other communications from us such as service emails relating to the administration of your account.
Users can review and change certain Personal Information (such as email address and telephone number) by logging into the applicable account via the e-gold website. Documentation may be required to verify certain Personal Information changes.
If you have any questions or concerns about this policy, please contact us via this form or write to us at e-gold Ltd c/o G&SR, ATTN: Privacy Contact, 175 E NASA Blvd, Suite 300, Melbourne, FL 32901 USA.